In Costa Rica, I had a vision of driving north when I came back to North America. I am not sure what lies ahead, but I am, indeed, about to embark on a long adventure! First I am going up to Boston, for the Generation Waking Up training, which I am greatly looking forward to. We will be exploring and inquiring into environmental sustainability, social justice, and human thriving, and stepping up our leadership and finding common vision and inspiration. This will be my first time co-facilitating a weekend training!
After some time in New England, including several days at Sirius Community for the NEXTGen Youth Eco Village Summit, I am heading north north north, up to Quebec to Montreal, and the west out along the beautiful great lakes, further west along the Trans – Canada highway through Winnipeg, out to Banff and Lake Louise, Glacier National Park, and then into so-called British Columbia, for unknown time to as of yet unknown places in that beautiful bio-region, and eventually to Vancouver and down South through Seattle, Portland, to California. Although I don’t believe true travelers have a final destination, and are not intent on arriving…I am not pre-determining or attached to where I ultimately end up! The journey continues!
This is me throwing myself into the most unknown and unplanned experience and time – space of my life. My vision is to travel without a pre-planned route, trusting I will meet the people I am met to meet, find places to stay that are cheap (and free), safe and comfortable, and allowing the journey to take me and surrendering totally to the adventure.
Here is a snapshot of my emerging vision for myself in this time.
Following the prompt, Who would I be if I knew I couldn’t Fail? What are my visions and greatest dreams for myself and the world? (Thanks Dan for the prompt!)
~ Living my life in flow with natural cycles and seasons
- e.g., in- tune with my own internal emotional and hormonal cycles and rhythms, sleep rhythms, in tune with seasonal energies, eating seasonal foods, sleeping close a more sun-based schedule (asleep after dark and awakening around dawn)
~ Cool loneliness and hot passion
- Pema Chodron writes about cool loneliness …her words resonate with me deeply…
Cool loneliness allows us to look honestly and without aggression at our own minds. We can gradually drop our ideals of who we think we ought to be, or who we think we want to be, or who we think other people think we want to be or ought to be. We give it up and just look directly with compassion and humor at who we are. Then loneliness is no threat and heartache, no punishment.
When you wake up in the morning and out of nowhere comes the heartache of alienation and loneliness, could you use that as a golden opportunity? Rather than persecuting yourself or feeling that something terribly wrong is happening, right there in the moment of sadness and longing, could you relax and touch the limitless space of the human heart? The next time you get a chance, experiment with this.
- Of course there will be loneliness on a journey like this. My intention is to relax into it and learn from it. Hot passion also holds space for totally crazy, amazing passionate love, celebration, sex, comfort and fun as well. I am ready for both cool loneliness and hot passion 🙂
~ Fierce compassion and empathy in the face of apathy, greed, violence and fear
~Thriving self –> thriving community –> thriving world (thanks Joshua for the “thriving” working, I love all that this word embodies)
- To me, thriving means more than just survival, more than just getting what one needs to get by, but to also have a deep joy, zest, and art to life. A thriving world, where each person is fulfilled, has clean water and healthy food, a safe and valued community, all starts with a thriving self, radiating out into community and eventually the planet.
~ Little technology, big connection
- technology is a powerful tool, but for me can be a huge distraction and waste of time. using as little technology (read: Facebook and cell phone) as possible, not eliminating entirely, and having lot of in person connection
~Proving the impossible possible
- proving that it is possible for whole communities to shift to permaculture and sustainability
- proving that our current economic, social and political system is changeable
- proving that what holds us back from our biggest dreams and desires is an illusion
~Healing at the root cause and source of cultural wounding
- healing the root cause of violence and the root cause of racism and oppression and environmental destruction — not just fighting the symptoms but healing and transforming the root cause
~Nurturing myself and others
- with healthy food, laughing and good music, cuddling, good sleep, alone time, nurturing others with massage, cuddling, creating nourishing food, offering support and help from a place of joy and abundance
~ consciously creating my experience – owning that I am the creator of my thoughts, expectations, and perceived reality (and all reality is just perception) … consciously creating my reality from a place of inspiration, clarity and big vision
~Trust that my vision is unfolding in each moment
~Letting go of “achievement”
~Freeing others from their limitations
- Gently but firmly pushing others to see the limitations in their own stories and beliefs
Connection to earth and sky
~Building bridges between divisons
- bridges between University academia and permaculture and transformational culture
- Between people of different backgrounds, history, race and ethnicity
~Speaking, writing, teaching, with love, passion and care in every breath
- not a naive escape from the pain and destruction going on, but a deep vision that no matter what happens, people care and people are trying to change
~Intimacy –with myself, with others, especially with those I’ve been taught to fear and hate and distance from
- bridging activism and social change with deep cosmological, spiritual impulses for deep change at levels we cannot understand with the rational mind
~Seeing all as ONE
~Ease and FLOW
~ Partnership and mutuality
~Learning all the time
~ Creativity flourishing!
~Living an artful live, creating my life as art
~ Patience and steady slow progress, tortuga medicina
~ Travel and adventure
~ Feeling everything deeply, no running away
~ Not taking things personally
~ Integrity and responsibility
~ Direct honesty – speaking my truth fully when it needs to be spoken
~TRUST – this place is the right place, this moment is the moment, trust in myself and in the universe
~ Experimentation and play
~ Being a designer
- designing place, experiences, social systems, gardens, designing my life
~ Total acceptance of the moment
~ mentorship and coaching from elders who push me
~Living life at the edge of my edge
~ Celebrations all the time, of things big and small
~ Listening to my intuition, trusting my intuition
~ Being part of the shift in every way imaginable!
Ahey thank you for witnessing my vision!! If you are inspired to share, what is your vision?
Maybe our paths will cross somewhere on the road, I am currently open to others joining to travel with on this journey!
~ Infinite love ~